If you are aged 18-35, come and have 4 days of fun with hundreds of other young Jewish adults in the city that is “Ever Growing, Never Aging”! Come and Enjoy a truly fun, international Purim event and
- Explore scenic Bulgaria as well as the historic city
- Party for Purim in the legendary Purim themed party
- Hear the Megillah and give Mishloach Manot
- Relax in 5* deluxe accommodation
- Hear from world-class guest speakers
- Enjoy delicious Glatt Kosher food
And much much more!!!
For our Cancellation policy – Please see the Terms and Conditions section.
Please note that you must be registered on the ECJS website to purchase tickets to our events. Not yet registered? Become a member now!
Do not book any flights until the ECJS office confirms the registration and payment is all okay, and it is okay to do so – as there is no guaranteed place until then.
All prices are per person and do not include travel to / from Copenhagen or transfers to the hotel. If you pay by bank transfer from outside the EU / UK / Switzerland you will get an extra 50 Euros charge unless you use Wise or Revolut websites, so we recommend to use Paypal to avoid this.
Extra nights before and after the event are available through ECJS at our special group rates. If you request a twin occupancy extra night without a friend(s) and we are unable to match you up with another participant(s), you will be asked to upgrade to a single room.
To get these prices you must also hold a valid 1 year paid Basic Membership subscription.
WINTER SALE DEADLINE: 23:59 CEST (Belgium Time) on Monday 19 February 2024.
DOUBLE ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 1 large bed where you will share with someone of the same gender. Prices are per person.
TWIN ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 2 x single beds where you will share with someone of the same gender. Prices are per person.
Normal Price € 369
Normal Price € 599
Normal Price € 419
DOUBLE ROOM INFORMATION: This is a room with 1 x big bed where you will share with someone of the same gender. Prices are per person.
Thu-Sun Single Room
Thu-Sun Double Room
Thu-Sun Twin Room
EXTRA NIGHT OPTIONS:
- For those people living in Sofia only, we can offer these local packages for the weekend at special subsidized prices if you sign up as a FREE user on our website first.These do not include any transport to and from the venues and will be released soon!
This is an example program – the real program will be sent to participants only.
Day 1 Highlights – Thursday
Visit the city of Sofia
Day 2 Highlights – Friday
Tour of Bulgaria
Day 3 Highlights – Shabbat
Shabbat Friendly Activity
Relax & Enjoy
ECJS Purim Party
DAY 4 Highlights – Sunday
Purim Megillah Reading
Purim Feast and Mishloach Manot
The event will start at around 12:00 in Sofia on the Thursday and finish on Sunday at approximately 14:30/15:00. The nearest airport is Sofia (SOF) which is approximately 20-30 minutes from the hotel by taxi and we recommend to use the TaxiMe App as it is like UBER and allows you to pay with credit card and avoid being scammed. The price of a taxi should be around 20-25 LEV (10 Euros).
This exclusive 5* hotel is situated in the heart of Sofia, in close proximity to many of Sofia’s top attractions. The hotel boasts an impressive combination of modern facilities and timeless elegance; with all rooms designed with comfort in mind, modern amenities, and stunning views of the city.
Sofia is no grand metropolis, but it’s a modern, youthful city, with a scattering of onion-domed churches, Ottoman mosques and stubborn Red Army monuments that lend an eclectic, exotic feel.
Bulgaria’s pleasingly laid-back capital is often overlooked by visitors heading to the coast or the ski resorts, but they’re missing something special. Away from the buildings and boulevards, vast parks and manicured gardens offer a welcome respite, and the ski slopes and hiking trails of mighty Mt Vitosha are just a short bus ride from the centre. Home to many of Bulgaria’s finest museums, galleries, restaurants and clubs, Sofia may persuade you to stick around and explore further.
Jews lived in Sofia from the first centuries of the Christian era under Roman rule. Later they were known as *Romaniots. Their synagogue (“Kahal de los Griegos”; the Greek Synagogue) stood until 1898. When Jews were expelled from Hungary in 1376, some of them came to Sofia. A second wave of Hungarian Jews was brought by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, after the short-lived conquest of Buda in 1526.
After the expulsion from Bavaria in 1470, Ashkenazi Jews arrived in Sofia, where they established their own community. The refugees from Spain also established a new community. During the 16th century, there were three separate communities – the Romaniot, the Ashkenazi, and the Sephardi. Eventually they amalgamated into a single Sephardi community. Even though the Ashkenazi Jews integrated with the Sephardi Jews, their synagogue was, until in recent times, known as the Kehillat Ashkenazim in order to distinguish it from that of the newer Ashkenazim, who came from Russia, Romania, Hungary, Germany, and Galicia.
During the 16th and 17th centuries, the Jews of Sofia worked as craftsmen and businessmen. The town was a transit center for goods which were sent from Salonika to Bucharest, Belgrade, and other cities. AWhen Bulgaria became independent in 1878, the Jews saved the city from pillage and fire. The largest Jewish population of the country was then located in Sofia (according to the official census of 1880, numbering 4,146). Two Jews were appointed to the municipal council. The Jews lived in a quarter which was known as Hagada, situated in the center of the present city.
In 1884–85 there were 6,000 Jews in Sofia and in 1920, 16,196. During the Serbo-Bulgarian war in 1885, the community set up a hospital which treated the war casualties. The Jews of the town engaged in commerce, crafts, and brokerage. Three-quarters of them barely earned enough to sustain themselves.
During World War II, in May 1943, an expulsion decree was issued against the Jews of Sofia. At that time they numbered some 25,000. The project to exterminate them, however, was not carried out. After the mass immigration of Bulgarian Jewry to Israel, 5,000 Jews remained in Sofia. In 1951 there were 5,259 Jews, in 1964 4,000, and in 2004 around 3,000.
The Sofia is the largest Synagogue in Southeastern Europe, one of two functioning in Bulgaria(with the other one in Plovdiv) and the third-largest in Europe. Constructed for the needs of the Bulgarian capital Sofia’s mainly Sephardic Jewish community, it officially opened on 9 September 1909 in the presence of King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria. One of the architectural monuments of Sofia, the synagogue, located in the very centre of the city near the Central Market Hall, can accommodate 1,300 worshippers. The Sofia Synagogue’s main chandelier weighs 1.7 tons and is the largest in the country.
Despite the building’s size, the services are normally only attended by some 50 to 60 worshippers due to the aliyah of most of Bulgaria’s Jews to Israel and the secularity of the local Jewish population.
CELIA OBM SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION:
In loving memory of our dear friend and former ECJS staff member, Celia Sasporte (Tzila Chaya Bat Moises) OBM, a scholarship fund will be established to help less fortunate ECJS participants up to 30 years old.
Celia was a naturally inclusive and caring person. She would not want anyone left out just because of their financial situation. On the contrary, they most need the opportunity to make Jewish friends and celebrate their Jewish identity. Through this scholarship, Celia can continue extending the gift of friendship and bring joy to those who need it most. Celia’s memory will live on, bringing happiness to others just as she did in life.
For this event, there will be a maximum of 4 Celia OBM Scholarships awarded, depending on suitable candidates with extremely limited financial capability who cannot normally participate in our events.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this special limited scholarship you should select the twin ticket for the event and select the check box asking if you wish to apply for this scholarship. You should also select the option to pay with bank transfer as this will not force you to make the event payment when you send us the event ticket.
After ECJS receive your event ticket, you will receive an email with a detailed application form and terms and conditions, to apply for this limited scholarship.
Once you have submitted that completed form back to ECJS you will be informed in a short time period if you have been awarded the scholarship and the amount of funding for the scholarship.
- Five-Star Deluxe Accommodation
- Free WiFi Internet Access in all rooms and public areas.
- General Room facilities
- Free access to fitness facilities (treatments/ activities may cost extra)
- Kosher meals
- Entertainment and workshops
- City Tours with professional guides – dependant on local laws and restrictions
- Organised transport for official trip tours and visits – dependant on local laws and restrictions
- General room service
- Optional Parking (charged by the hotel directly to each individual)
Participants will NOT be provided with
- Luxury items (alcoholic beverages besides Friday night, etc)
- Additional room service (washing, dry cleaning, etc)
- Health and other insurance – It is the responsibility of the participant to organise necessary health insurance and vaccination requirements for India. ECJS & JEP take no responsibility for extra costs or refunds if the participant does not have necessary requirements or for any expenses in relation to this.
- Every participant should ensure that their personal insurance covers medical expenses during their stay.
- ECJS does not take responsibility for damages done by participants (in hotel, buses and other locations). Participants are legally responsible for any damage they cause.
- Participant must notify ECJS in advance of any illnesses, allergies or medications they are on if there is any risk of any possible side effects or reactions that ECJS should be aware of. It is the participants own responsibility to ensure they prevent such reactions / side effects taking place as much as realistically possible, and ECJSdoes not take any responsibility for any medical care / treatment or incidents that may happen due to a participants failure to adhere to their personal medical responsibilities.
- By completing an event or membership registration form, the applicant gives full permission for ECJS staff, or affiliated representatives on ECJS’s behalf, to take appropriate related photographs of the applicant during an event (or pre/post event days), which may be used in any ECJS related material (e.g. marketing or supplied to sponsors), at the decision of the ECJS office.
- Any participant may be charged the full cost of the event and sent home during the program if fraudulent information was provided on the registration form for the event or ECJS member/associate form.
- ECJS holds the right at any time to cancel your participation if you fail to fulfil any demands or requirements of the program. In this situation the amount of refunds are at the full discretion of the ECJS office staff.
Ticket Booking Confirmation
ECJS only confirms and guarantees the booking once tickets have been purchased, approved and payment also received and approved by the ECJS office; on the basis that the participant provides a copy of his ID / Passport for security and the information supplied on the registration form is correct. Until then, ECJS does not take any responsibility for your commitment to the event. Therefore ECJS does not advise you to book your flights / travel arrangements, until you receive your confirmation from the ECJS office as before this time ECJS does not guarantee you a place to participate in the event.
ECJS does its best to adhere to all specific room and event requests (such as room sharing preferences). However, in certain circumstances this may not be possible. In this situation the participant consents to the full authority of ECJS to make any changes necessary.
These are only for those people currently living in the hosting city holding full residency or alternatively students studying abroad/young adults working abroad, on proof of holding a local address.
- If someone is found positive with Covid-19 related symptoms, then it is the participants responsibility to decide how they wish to deal with it. ECJS will only implement any rules if local government enforces as laws. ECJS does not take any responsibility for any testing / isolation or action if the participant unless it is an enforced requirement.
- For Covid refunds : The standard cancellation policy applies but may be waivered if you hold a positive Covid-19 test and at a level providing ECJS obtains any refunds from any expenses laid out on your behalf (e.g. hotel / tour guides / food etc). For no other reasons. All Covid-19 related refunds are at the discretion of the ECJS office.
Participants must prove financial situation warranting discount. A copy of a valid passport and/or references are required. Documents and/or letter outlining your request with contact details of either a Rabbi or Jewish community organization who can vouch for your limited finances should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
If you are awarded a further “extra” discount to the advertised prices we ask that you try your best to attend every session of our program, especially the workshops and lectures, to reflect your appreciation of this donation. A thank you letter about your experiences at the event is required for our sponsors within 2 weeks following the event.
Limited availability. Discounts will be granted solely at the discretion of ECJS and its partners and special offer discounts are only valid on main event dates and exclude extra costs such as extra nights/membership fee etc.
Special Discount Offer and Early-bird Offer Period End-Date
This is the date all registration and payments must be RECEIVED by the ECJS office. It is entirely the discretion of the ECJS office staff to decide whether a participant fulfills the demands for the offers, and ECJS hold the full right to charge non-offer price if they believe this is not the case.
Group Organiser or other Special Offers
These are only applicable to you as an individual and do not apply to any other participants, for example a discount in a 2 person room is a discount on your participation rate and not for the other person sharing the room. It is entirely the discretion of the ECJS office staff to decide whether a participant fulfills the demands for the offers.
This is the general cancellation policy but DOES NOT APPLY to any special Non-Cancelable / Non Refundable sale price ticket (see below terms for these tickets.
For cancellations until 23:59 on 01 February 2024 we will refund all payment except for 50 Euros admin fee for our staff to process this cancellation. From 01 February 2024 until 23:59 on 22 February 2024, we will refund 70% of your payment, providing the event sells out and we manage to re-sell your place. Otherwise we will not be able to offer a refund. After 22 February 2024, all cancellations will get no refund even for a medical emergency. You would need to make your own personal insurance claim. The reason for this deduction is due to the risk we are taking, as well as the event low prices, the longer administration process involved in changing your booking, and often involves more time and expensive phone calls trying to find a replacement.
ECJS will have already booked, ordered and paid for everything for you. We will not be able to receive refunds for any of these purchases. Please understand that ECJS is a non-profit organization. We invest over €100 for each member to attend the event beyond the member fee that was paid. With your cancellation we lose this investment as well.
This is our cancellation policy and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. You agree that by submitting any event registration form or “ticket” via our website, you thereby acknowledge that you have read and understand this permission agreement and agree to be bound by its terms and conditions.
Cancellation Policy for any special NON-CANCELABLE / NON REFUNDABLE SALE TICKETS:
These tickets are special priced offer tickets that are entirely non cancelable and 100% non-refundable once registration is completed and payment made. Purchase of this ticket is entirely at the purchaser’s risk and will not be refunded in any circumstances. It is also not permitted to use “Paypal query / bank recall” or any other similar methods to attempt to recall the payment. In this circumstance you will be issued a full invoice to re-instate the payment. By completing the registration and sending payment, you agree to these terms and conditions fully.